Monday, October 17, 2011

Sunday in the country

Can you find the beauty in a crowd of thousands of drunken people passed out on dirt covered blankets on their lawn seats @ Merriweather post pavilion, only to be awoken by some random passer byer's beer spilling on them, and when then turning over they slowly coming to a staggering stand and heading for the burger, fries and fried chicken and oh but of course another beer, maybe a margarita??

I've never been much of concert goer, especially not the tail-gaitin' drunken type... I did my part this time though, Octoberfest for breakfast at 9 am with some homemade banana pumpkin bread..., enjoyed the music, was hungover my 1pm, and beyond exhausted by the end of the concert at 11pm....

So where's the beauty?

Maybe it's in the comfort people find from being around people with at least some similar interests. Maybe it was the sunny perfect fall day. Perhaps is was the underlying energy current, the life the thrived beneath our silly costumes and masks we where,( alcohol included here).

Life! Thousands of Lives, swaying, falling, spilling, laughing, yes even vomiting... coming together for an entire day. Strange that this could be beautiful, but it is.

So sunday in the country for me, meant limping around on extraordinarily tired pain-filled legs.... and no, despite everyone's belief, the beer does not help the pain. It was a beautiful Sunday, a great day to spend with some of my favorite people.

For entertainment as well as to increase awareness and knowledge the Marines and Army men offered challenges, (pull ups and pushups- upperbody...aka not my legs ;) ) I found it beautiful to see how many drunken people climbed up to the pull up bar, to see what they could do....girls, boys, men, women, other marathoners also tired and sore from the prior day...
I found myself cheering on everyone that was even willing to try.... And others often joined in my cheers.

My question is... why does it take this setting for us to cheer each other on for our silly little efforts... No one cares if you get a lanyard or T-shirt... if you got up there and tried... That was something worth watching... something that made you feel good inside.... Isn't every day our lives like this? Don't we all Get Up and just Try, every day.... some days more than others. some days we're stronger than others, but we all Need each other every day.

We would all benefit to be each other's cheer leaders in life. This Life ain't easy... but it's worth livin'... this life ain't long, but its worth the trip....

I was touched by the whole disgusting human scene.... we all try so hard.... Just don't forget to enjoy it....

My last note on this wonderful Sunday 10/16/11.... After starting up a conversation with a rather attractive military man, I asked him how long he has been in. 9 years he responded, so naturally I asked where'd he'd been.... Afghanistan he answered. I thanked him, and as we talked lightly about his experience and my running experiences I watched him play with his wedding ring... I'm not sure why this touched me so deeply, but I found a great respect for him in that moment. I thanked him for the conversation and went on my way, realizing that I hadn't asked what I meant to. I went back and asked my question... which involved charitable events for military veterans and using my running effectively towards those causes.... his response was something of pain and endurance as he expressed how badly these men and women need the support, his expression as I've seen in most of the military was something of humble disassociation.... He too needs support... We All Do, because we are all human. Not one of us, the strongest or the weakest can handle it ALL by themselves.....

Status Post Sunday in the Country... I will wait till I can walk pain-free but I will beginning to train for my first ultramarathon run for which I will begin to raise the support and awareness I can for those who need and deserve it. So if you do read this, please check out facebook or come back to this blog soon... so that I might share the fundraising page with as many people as possible. I'd be very appreciative of your time and thoughts.... but more to come... for now....

I have to start my career(S)..... and recover from The marathon....
Happy Fall Everyone! Love yourself, Love one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment